The last decade or so saw a boom in the use of the internet and technology. As a result, all the aspects of everyday life changed. The customer perspective changed, and so the companies had to find different ways to handle this awareness tactfully. E marketing made its entry shortly, and its various elements made it easy for companies to impress the customers.
The facility of advertising your products online makes it convenient for the customers and increases the variety of products available. Here we will talk about e marketing, its technical aspects, and certain strategies that make your marketing plan successful.
What is E marketing?
A simple E marketing definition is using digital modes to present your brand and its benefits to the customers. With online shopping gaining a foothold, customers search for the products on their mobiles and just place the order.
They can read the ads on mobiles, click coupons, compare products and place their order without actually going to a traditional store. On the other hand, the business saves money in distribution costs and physical store space. The brands transfer this cost-saving to the customer in the form of discounts. This makes the situation favorable for both.
In order to understand E marketing better, managers have to understand customer behavior, the cost, benefits and practical strategies to succeed.
Scope of E marketing
Nearly half of the consumers reach out to their brands through social media news feeds. As per Statista, almost 9 billion businesses use Facebook to connect to their customer base. Companies will continue to use these platforms for both promotion and communicating with the customer base.
Thankfully all the E marketing efforts can be analysed through analytics. You can find which strategy is yielding the best results for your brand and which is almost redundant. Once that understanding comes, you can focus all your efforts on the platforms where the conversion rate is high.
Around 74% of US customers watch online videos, and therefore, this becomes a top-ranking method for brands to focus on. Artificial intelligence and Augmented reality both add personalized to your brand. You can form your campaign as per the interests of your customers. Though the cost of doing so is high, the returns balance out the efforts.
As E marketing has shown such a vast growth spurt, it is normal for people to question its efficacy. Those who were stuck on traditional modes of marketing until recently have also opened up to this concept. Have a look at these advantages to understand why e marketing is so popular.
- Instant response
The response time to any digital marketing initiative is pretty fast. The moment a brand uploads a post on the internet, it becomes viral. Multiple customers all over the world get informed about the brand’s endeavors, and that too within minutes.
Since the response and returns are so huge, e marketing is considered one of the most cost-efficient marketing efforts. Initially, you can start through unpaid methods. Once you see the brand awareness, you can progress to paid ads.
- Reduced risk
The chances of failure are comparatively in e marketing. Even if you fail, you can always pick up the pieces and start afresh. Since the initial investment is almost negligible, there is not much that you have lost.
- Interactive and personalized
Customers spend a considerable time of their day online. In case you post anything that interests them, you will get a quick response. There is a high level of interaction involved as you get to solve their issues there and then. Apart from that, you can use e marketing to prepare personalized deals for your customer base. Even the ad you create delivers the message as if intended only to the recipient in question.
Lastly, E marketing is accessible from all over the world. You can complete your campaigns even though you may not be in the location you are based from. Plus, you can set parameters for your campaign and reach out to people who are geographically very far from you.
Despite everything working in favor, people still complain about e marketing. Though in comparison to the pros, the cons are relatively more minor.
- Technology dependent
E marketing is totally dependent on the internet, and if that is not working, your entire marketing efforts go to waste. Moreover, you do not get to target those who are not comfortable using online purchasing methods.
- Privacy issues
Since your data is available to all advertisers, privacy and security issues are high. The customers are bombarded with emails and other modes of marketing which may be irritating.
Since it is easy to market your products, the level of competition is high. Many companies are trying to grab the attention of the customer base. You have to give something exclusive to the customer for them to stay with you.
Types of E marketing and strategies you should apply
Broadly you can divide internet marketing into seven categories.
Social media marketing
These days just about everyone is on social media platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Targeting these customers through paid ads is what we call Social media marketing. The choice of platform depends on many factors.
You can also post content from your blog on your Facebook page and grab attention. Just post your CTA along with it, and the customer will proceed to complete the sale. However, in social media marketing, you have to always stay connected. Users want fast responses to their problems, and if you delay things, you will lose your precious customers.
To apply social media marketing to your e marketing efforts, use the following tactics:
- Find out the platforms where your target customer is seen often. If it’s a younger audience, they might prefer Snapchat. Basically, analyzing the demographics goes a long way in making it simpler for you to choose which platform will yield the best results.
- Analyze if you require paid ads on these social media platforms. Since most platforms provide targeted ads, you can reach out only to your category of audience.
- Share your website content or blogs on your social media platforms. This informs the customers about your knowledge level with regards to the industry. Also, if they like the information, they might share it further, thus increasing the post’s reach.
SEO or Search Engine Optimization
SEO is Google’s tactic to rank your website on its search ratings. You can use either on-page or off-page SEO to make your website rank better. On-Page SEO tactics include:
- Increasing your website loading speed
- Responsive mobile-optimized web design
- Inserting targeted keywords
- Adding title tags in the content
- Including internal links in your content
- Adding outbound links to other websites
On the other side, Off-page SEO uses techniques like social media presence and brand mentions to increase your ranking. You must also generate enough backlinks from other websites, which can happen only if you have content that people would want to share.
Simple strategies to do well in SEO are:
Keyword research- This involves just what your customers are searching for. These words are trigger words, and most customers use them to look for a product. When researching keywords for your brand, find how hard it is to rank them, their popularity, and other metrics related to them.
Page speed optimization-Sometimes the website loads so slowly that the customer gets bored and moves on to a competitor. To avoid that, optimize your website for higher speed. Remove any broken links and factors that could make it slow to load.
Internal linking-When you link all your pages together, it is easy for the customers to move around the same. This also makes it simpler for Google to crawl your website.
As the name says, Content marketing is writing and distributing content that attracts, engages, and makes your customer convert. Some popular forms of content are:
- Blog posts
- Industry reports
- Case studies
For best results, you must understand how to balance SEO, content marketing, and social media marketing together. Strategies to apply in the case of content marketing include:
- Research what your customer is interested in knowing about you. Are they curious to know the features of the product? Or how you make the products and the benefits of using them? Once you get this information, you can start preparing content accordingly.
- Use different types of content format. As we have mentioned above, you can experiment with various categories of content. Just sticking to blog writing does not work anymore. Customers like variety, and the easier you make for them to grasp the details, the better it is.
- Be regular with your content creation plans. For best results, share the content on your social media profiles as well. Maintain a log of when you will create content and post so that customers know when to expect something from you.
This is pretty new on the block. An influencer is someone customers love to trust. This can include celebrities, industry experts, social cause flag bearers, etc. When the brand associates with such people to promote their brand on their social media platforms, it works well for all involved. The choice of an influencer plays a critical role here. Influencers should be impactful and have a strong following, and then only your association yields results.
- Find influencers in the industry, check on social media and see whose opinion influences your ideal customer base.
- Contact the list of influencers shortlisted. It will take you some time to convince all of them to accept your brand. Be careful how you present your offering as influencers only deal with brands that add value to their portfolio.
- Share your content with them and add necessary links to the same. The influencers post your content on their website and social media, thus getting you better visibility.
- Reward your influencer as per the terms decided earlier. These rewards could be in the form of any privileges, discounts, or free product use purely depending on your choice.
You can call this an online referral program. In order to boost sales, brands offer commissions to individuals who promote their brand either on their website or otherwise. The individual just needs to write about the particular product and share the sale link. As the customer purchases the product basis on the link, the marketer gets a cut in the form of commission.
- Pick up only affiliates that are going to add value to your brand promotions. Linking with a blogger having a limited following is not going to help you much.
- Make your product attractive through deals, coupons, and promotions.
- Keep adding new affiliates on a regular basis as each additional one gives more visibility to your product.
- Provide promotional materials for your affiliates to utilize while selling the product.
- Optimize the landing pages, so it is easy for customers to purchase your product.
Email marketing is a personal level interaction with your customer. The company prepares a list of their loyal customers and sends them regular emails mentioning new deals, discounts, etc. If the customer clicks on the email and makes a purchase, you have accomplished your job. There are multiple techniques in email marketing, some of which are:
- Welcoming the new customers
- Following up on any abandoned carts
- Send emails to loyal customers to initial repeat sales
- Ask customers for reviews
- Re-engage customers who are no longer active
In E marketing Paid ads or Pay per click has the simplest premise. The marketer pays money each time a user clicks on their link. You can use both Google ads and Facebook for paid ads. All you have to do is to select a plan as per your requirement. Once the customer searches for your particular keyword, your ad is displayed among the top ads. In case the sale goes through, you get a loyal customer. PPC is supposed to be one of the cheapest forms of e marketing. Here are some PPC strategies to use:
- Use the keywords you selected for the content plan and change them to use in the ads. The keywords imply what the customers are looking for, so they are suitable for use in the ads.
- Create ads that fulfill the needs of your customers. In the case of a PPC ad, you get the chance to choose the design and text. Brainstorm and find ways in which the message loudly and clearly reflects to the customer and entices him to complete the purchase.
- Always add a landing page where your customer will reach if he decides to go ahead with the sale. On that page, the customer should be convinced to complete his purchase. Make it easy to navigate so that the customer can straight off move ahead without getting confused.
E marketing in marketing management is growing, and its potential is surpassing expectations. As a result, even low-profile companies are taking advantage of this new trend. However, any digital marketing efforts are successful only if you choose the correct strategy. Finding where your customers spend their time online is another vital aspect of getting the maximum returns.
In the coming years, technology will add more facets to the concept of marketing to customers through digital modes. This implies that both brands and customers will benefit from this changing pace of things.